If you’ve reached the other side of the world, you only want one thing: sleep. Jet lag can seriously ruin your mood. Here are the eight tips for avoiding jet lag.
1. Adjust your biological clock before you go
If you’re traveling eastward, it may be useful to wake up earlier the few days before you’re leaving. Get up an hour earlier for three continuous days and expose yourself to bright light. This will help you get used to the new sleeping times. If you go to the west, do the same but go to bed later.
2. Adjust your watch once you get on the plane
And do exactly what you would do at that hour. Adjust your eating times and try to sleep at night as much as possible.
3. Avoid the sunny side of the plane if you need to sleep
To predict in advance where the sun will sit during the flight you can use the Sunflight website.
4. Find out if you need the light or need to avoid it when you arrive at your destination
If you travel to the east, you should avoid the morning light as much as possible, if you go west it’s vice versa. If you really want to make a detailed schedule the app Entrain will compare you normal biorhythms with the time zone where you are going and then give you advice.
5. Always bring sunglasses with you
Put sunglasses on if you’re feelings tells you it’s night, during the flight and shortly after your arrival. This helps your body to adapt to the new time zone. If you are exposed to bright light while it’s night your body will get exhausted.
6. If you still need a nap, choose the right moment
Professor Richard Wiseman studied sleep patterns for his book Night School. According to him, the best time to nap is between 13:00 and 14:00.
7. Melatonin can help you to adjust your sleep pattern
Melatonin is a hormone that regulates your sleep patterns. Supplemental melatonin may help ease your jet lag and has few negative side effects. Obviously this is only a temporary solution.
8. On a short trip you can ignore the new time zone
It takes a few days before you are adapted to a new time zone. So if your trip is short,try to ignore the new time zone as much as possible.